Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bloggin' in the Classroom

I think a blog is a great way to extend classroom discussion to a forum outside of the walls of the school day.  The posting of thoughts, ideas, or questions that students can reflect on and comment on would be incredibly valuable in a classroom like mine.  I think there are many other possibilities available for utilization of a blog.  I know that I would focus my energy in the realm of online classroom discussions and interactions with my students.  Having students access the information online and on their own time places a level of responsibility on them that is an important skill for them to be well versed in.  You also provide a safe forum for quieter or more reserved students to think and post their thoughts that they might be afraid to share in class. 

What do you think??

Blogs good?  Blogs bad?

Ray Brassard
High school
Social Studies

2 comments:

  1. Ray,
    I am one of your team members from Walden. I like the idea of using blogs for students to interact after school hours. Students could collaborate on homewowrk and other activities. I also agree that there are students who would feel more comfortable in the more anonymous cyberspace than in a classroom.

    Diane Liebl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray,
    I too am one of your group members from Walden. I think using this outside the classroom would be great for students. What grade/subject do you teach Ray? I believe the best way for a blog to be productive is just to make sure students are using it to benefit their learning, not just as another social outlet for them to exploit.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete