Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Notes of Cognition?

Note taking is one of those basic skills that everyone can do at varying levels of effectiveness.  Some have learned strategies and others write down every minute detail in the hopes that they will catch the little facts that are the most important or that will hold the key to a perfect score on a test.  I am not the type of learner that takes a lot of notes because I know that I will not look at them again.  So how do I teach a student that this is important?  By giving them a few strategies to help them so how valuable effective note-taking can be.

One of the best ideas I’ve seen in a long time is that of combination notes that you can create inside of Microsoft Word  (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007).  This style combines the use of key words and facts with images that the students create using the drawing tool in Word and an original written summary (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007).  So why is this such a great idea?  Dr. Orey has made it very clear that the use of images will help learners visualize, remember, and recall ideas as well as make connections between those ideas (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).  I believe these cognitive connections are strengthened when the students are the ones that create or determine those images.  That mixed in with their own summary of the information has tapped into multiple cognitive learning components.

Another idea that I really like is the idea of using the Track Changes option in Microsoft Word as a method of demonstrating or teaching summarizing of material (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn & Malenoski, 2007).  I struggle with teaching proper summary techniques to my students and I have not found an effective means to do this.  I am looking forward to trying this out and I think that my students will appreciate seeing the visual assist provided by this tool in Word.  I use summaries for many different types of lessons in my classroom and it would be great for my student s to learn it in this basic matter.  Dr. Orey’s idea about visualization is brought into play here as well with the modifications showing up in the text (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).

I am always looking for ways to make the material more interesting and memorable for my students.  I think these will provide a couple of strategies for them and in the end I hope they are able to learn the material a little better.  After all, that is the number one goal.

References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program five. Cognitive learning theory [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

3 comments:

  1. Raymond,

    Creating combination notes with Microsoft Word is an excellent strategy for taking notes. This is a new strategy that I plan on adding to my box of tools. The process combines outlining, webbing, pictographs and words. “Graphic representations have been shown to produce a percentile gain of 39 points in students’ achievement (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 124)”. Combination notes also support the hypothesis of dual coding where information is stored as images and text (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).


    References

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program five. Cognitive learning theory [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

    Pitler H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Raymond,

    Sounds like you have some really great ideas to help your students with note taking and summarizing. With note taking, because you are allowing students to get hands on and create their combination notes as personal to them, that makes sense to them, and understandable to them, they will take them in as their own notes and hopefully store it in their long term memory. I know that there are times when teachers will just give an outline or sheet of notes to students to follow along or read on their own. Using technology to teach them note taking while also having them process the information allows them to be engaged and focused on their learning.

    I have never actually used track changes, but I think that it will allow for teachers to model how to summarize in a much easier way for students to understand the tool. Also, I really liked the AutoSummarize feature on Word. You could have your students write their summaries and then compare it with this tool. It may prompt students to revise their work or assurance that their work has been done correctly.

    Have you ever used concepts maps to also assist students in note taking or summarizing?

    HanNa Chung

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raymond,
    The ideas that you have for your student’s whether making things more interesting or memorable I think taking the steps to educate on new information will definitely get you there. I am one that has to take notes on everything whether reading from our college book or watching videos I have notes on all sorts of things. For me this helps me understand the text or information given.
    Prior to taking an English class in college (right out of high school) I would have never wrote in a book, however I would find myself reading and not retaining the information. We are taught from the time we start school never to write in books and come to find out that is what we really need to be doing to understand the information. You look at my books now and you will find notes in the side bar which consist of comments, questions, short saying and pictures etc. that help me to understand the book. This is my way of learning by taking notes to understand the text that I will go back to in-order to recall information. I will definitely be open to those students (like yourself) that don’t need to take notes, but will educate the several ways on how to for those that will utilize it.
    L. Freeze

    ReplyDelete