Thursday, December 2, 2010

Social Learning in Practice

“Students actively engage in constructing artifacts and conversing with others,” is the principle that rests at the core of social learning theories (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010).  The social aspect is apparent in our lessons every time that there is talking or interaction amongst our students.  Let me clarify that a little bit, constructive talking or interaction amongst our students is what I am getting at.  I think it is obvious that mindless chatter doesn’t bring about the learning that we desire.  However, put our students in the position or in the small groups and give them guidelines and valuable tasks and roles and I think the outcome becomes a little more of a valuable experience for our students and for us.

We do need to continue to provide structure for these groups beyond just the pairing of students.  “Formal groups should include five components: positive interdependence, face-to-face promotive interaction, individual and group accountability, interpersonal and small-group skills, and group processing (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).”  Applying these components is another way that we work to provide some guidelines in creating a valuable learning experience.

One of the ideas that I found really intriguing and I think is still a work in progress is that web-enabled collaborative learning provides the same type of learning experience as physical interaction (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007).  I think we are still so early in the time of Skype and Twitter and other real-time communication methods that we do not know exactly how to best utilize these as learning tools.  More importantly, I’m not sure we know the best way to provide structure so that our students are utilizing these tools in the best way.

While I believe that the opportunities for the use of technology and cooperative learning will continue to increase quickly, I think that we are always playing catch-up when it comes to the use of these tools and learning theories.


Resources:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Program eight. Social learning theories [Webcast]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore, MD: Author.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Raymond,

    You make some very good points! I am always amazed at hot technology that I may use on a personal basis can be used in the classroom like Skype. Who knew that this could be turned into an educational experience? But, I agree that sometimes I am playing catch-up when it comes to knowing how to best utilize these tools that could be so powerful for the students. This is part of the reason why I am taking graduate classes on integrating technology!

    On another note, did you ever think about how formal groups should be designed? It seems like those five components you mentioned in your post need to be considered and fully implemented in all group settings in order for formal groups to actually be successful. It made me really think about the way that I group my students and that they need to be done with some planning and thought.

    HanNa Chung

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ray,
    Do you think that the suggested 5 criteria for a formal group is as important with today’s technology in order to provide quality group interaction? I agree that learning how to work in a group is a very important skill and many teachers do not take the time to teach that skill. However, with the advancements in technology, twitter, voice threads, skype,and blogging it almost seem like they need a lesson on internet etiquette opposed to face-to-face promotive interaction.
    Thanks,
    Nicole Feldvebel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray,
    I love to have my students work in groups. What they learn working together is much more powerful than anything I can tell them through lecture. My problem is where do I put the one student who REFUSES to work. This is not just in a group, but also alone. Knowing there is a student who will not pull his/her load of the work makes it unfair to the others who he/she is grouped with. After much discussion with the collaborative teacher, the student will have to work on their own. Any other suggestions?
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray,
    I think that it is going to take some time before we know how to incorporate things like Twitter into the classroom. It is not an easy task because students currently see it as a way of talking normal chit chat. Not to mention things like this are currently blocked from most school servers. I think it is hard to look past the conventional ways of using these tools and look at them as educational tools. It will get there eventually though won’t it?

    Stephanie Cunningham

    ReplyDelete
  5. HanNa,

    My usual mode of designing formal groups does not extend beyond ensuring that there is a decent mix of high-performing and low-performing students and attempting to isolate behavior problems.

    The reason I brought that message into my post was to keep it at the front of my mind.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole,

    I think there is a hybrid lesson in teaching both of those concepts. I think that our interactions that are not face-to-face should be just like those that happen when we are sitting next to or across from our group members. The basic principles of productive interactions should be taught for both.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holly,

    I think that if there was a golden answer for dealing with that "one student" and I had it, I would write a book and make a lot of money. I have tried to approach this situation in different ways. One way is to try moving this student to different groups for different assignments unless they find someone that they bond with and can get them to work. I have also made adjustments and allowed them to work on their own so that they are the sole recipient of the grade they earn.

    I really don't think there is a perfect answer and I struggle with this on a regular basis.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie,

    I hope it gets there sooner rather than later. I have used Twitter as an idea or guideline when actual access has not been possible. Ask your students to convey a message or idea in 140 characters (on paper). I have used this when we are reading a book as a method for students to convey what a certain character might be thinking. Someday, I hope to put this into a real-time application with interaction between all of the "characters" in a certain novel.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete