Saturday, February 19, 2011

A Case Study: Living the Process of Inquiry Journal Entries for Chapters 5-8

CHAPTER FIVE

Analyzing Field Note Data

Prompt #5 Questions: There were four observations that Sienna conducted over a two-week period to document May’s redirection behaviors. First, you will examine the series of observation reports. Second, identify any trends and themes you find in the data. Be sure to consider the observational notes that Sienna included. Look to find and share any triangulation processes in May’s data collection and analysis work. Third, evaluate the data and provide reasonable explanations for what you think might be happening over time that would explain the story the data are revealing.
Response:
The most obvious change from the first observation report to the last is the decrease in the number of redirections that May has to use during the measured time.  In the first report it appears that she is having to redirect almost constantly.  By the last report she only needs to redirect from time to time and for a large chunk of time (1:15-1:35) she doesn’t need to redirect at all.  I also noticed that her way of addressing the class (or those that are misbehaving) is often “Guys” or “Listen up” and I’m not sure this is providing the result or change that she is looking for.  She uses these prompts multiple times and often they are used multiple times in a row.  Sienna also marks down “Uh” as a redirection but I am not sure what this is indicating on the observation report.  I prefer to address specific students and specific behaviors when I need to redirect my own classroom.
I think Sienna points out what is happening over time in her notes on last observation report.  She points out that more seats still need to be moved indicating that May has been making adjustments over time but still has more adjustments to make.  Moving students away from other students that are known to have discipline issues when they are by each other is a great way to decrease certain behaviors.  It is also possible that there are certain activities that occur on certain days that hold more of certain student’s interest than other days.  Sienna also points this out in her notes on the second observation when she mentions that students had something to look forward to that wasn’t boring.

CHAPTER SIX

Analyzing Data Related to the 5-Minute Challenge

Prompt #6 Questions: Describe May’s class graph. What happened over time, and what are some possible reasons for the trends and patterns you notice? What new goals do you think May should set for the class as a whole based on her students’ response to the timed agenda challenge?

Response:
May’s graph shows a gradual increase over time in the number of students that are actually writing in their agenda during the “Five Minute Challenge”.  I think that students started to believe that this was going to be a regular part of their classroom and not just a short-term requirement.  Once they started to see the consistency, more of them started to participate.  More students participating in the “Five Minute Challenge” meant that there were less students to talk to for those that didn’t want to write in their agenda.  I imagine that towards the end of the recorded data, students that would have been the longest holdouts gave in and recorded information because they had no one to cause issues with.  There is still one student that is not writing in their agenda.  Unless this is Sienna and she is excused from this, May’s goal should be to get this number to 100% of her students.  I also think that I would like to see this data charted over a month or a quarter.  I would like to see if she stays committed and if the students stay bought into what is happening.  May’s new goal should be to see this number at or close to 100% for an entire quarter.

CHAPTER SEVEN

Graphing Data and Focus Group Interview

Prompt #7 Questions: Describe Anthony’s and Leah’s data. What happened over time? What do you think May might do in the future to capitalize on Anthony and Leah’s success and keep them on track during the entire class period?

Response:
Both Anthony and Leah’s time decreased over time.  There was a very sharp decline in the beginning and then gradual improvement until they reached a level that seemed to be a pretty consistent average.  You can see that the graphs follow their goals all the way down.  This would be an important key for May to take notice of.  In the future, May should have Leah and Anthony set goals for other areas and not just their writing in their agendas.  They seem to be driven by their goals and that is a great tool to use when you can identify what students are motivated by that.  May also might be able to tap into their desire to compete against the class as a way to keep them motivated and focused.  I would love to see them set goals for their daily work, homework and their grades.
CHAPTER EIGHT

 Bringing Closure to May’s First Cycle of Inquiry—May’s Journaling


Prompt #8 Questions: Pretend you are May, and it is now the start of the next school year. Your assistant principal, Mr. Brown, asks you to talk about your inquiry journey at the first faculty meeting of the year. Discuss a plan for your presentation. What will you share and how will you share it? Refer to Chapters 6 and 8 of The Reflective Educator’s Guide to Classroom Research for support in responding to this prompt.

Response:
I think the first thing I would do is profess that I am not perfect and attempt to humble myself before my peers.  It is important to have others see the value of your work and research without feeling put-off or tuning out because they are being told how to fix the problems in their classrooms.  My next step would involve me describing the classroom environment that I had in the very beginning and spending some time talking about my original behaviors and classroom management strategies.  I would then discuss the process that went into my teacher inquiry research and how the action plan for this research was developed.  I would then show the graphs of the data that Sienna recorded and how her suggestions were put into action and positive results came out of it.  After this, I would discuss the “Five Minute Challenge” and use Anthony and Leah as examples.  Part of this would include showing their graphs and goals and how they worked to achieve their goals and the positive impact that made.  Finally, I would lay out my plan for the coming school year and how I would work proactively to prevent these issues from becoming major concerns in the future.  I think that it would be critical to discuss my plan as a way to show that I had learned something from my research and would be attempting to create a change in not only my classroom but in myself as a teacher inquirer.

No comments:

Post a Comment